- Farmers being encouraged to take up horticulture
- In order to double the farmers’ income in the State, the farmers are being encouraged to take other horticulture crops beside traditional crops like wheat and soybean.
- It may be mentioned that the area of fruits bearing trees was 47 thousand 856 hectare in the year 2007.
- This area climbed up to 1.34 lakh hectare during the year 2017-2018. Similarly, the drip irrigation area was 500 hectare, which has grown to 21,456 hectare now. In the same manner, increase has been registered in the area irrigated by the sprinkler system, this system was used to irrigate 60 hectare area in the past. The area under the sprinkler irrigation system has grown to 97,135 hectare in the year 2017.
- Besides, the increase has been made in the cold storage capacity. The cold storage capacity was 2 lakh metric tonne in the year 2007, which has grown to about 9.50 lakh metric tonne in the year 2017. It is to be highlighted that onion storage capacity in the state was almost zero a decade ago, the onion storage capacity has become 5 lakh metric tonne in the year 2017.
- A total 1,528 warehouses have been constructed in the state to store onion. Technical know-how and training is also being given to the farmers to take horticulture crops. Poly house technology on 600 hectare area, shade-net house on 150 hectare and plastic mulching technology on 5 lakh hectare area are being used by the farmers now in the state.
- Horticulture crops have important contributions in nutrients elements in food, doubling the farmers’ income and earning foreign currency besides improvement in environment.
- Total 307 nurseries have been operated by the Horticulture department in 51 districts. These nurseries are also being used to impart training to the farmers. The department has prepared a plan to modernize these nurseries. A total of 100 nurseries will be upgraded with modern technology in the year 2018.
- India and Asian Development Bank (ADB) sign $250 Million Loan
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India have signed a $250 million loan to finance the construction of 6,254 kilometers all-weather rural roads in the States of Assam, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha and West Bengal under the Prime Minister’s Rural Roads Program (PMGSY).
- The First Tranche Loan is part of the $500 million Second Rural Connectivity Investment Program for India approved by the ADB Board in December 2017.
- The program is aimed at improving rural connectivity, facilitating safer and more efficient access to livelihood and socio-economic opportunities for rural communities through improvements to about 12,000 kilometers Rural Roads across the 5 States.
· India Ranks 6th In The List Of Wealthiest Countries
- India ranked sixth in the list of wealthiest countries with the total wealth of 8,230 billion US dollars.
- The list was topped by the United States of America, according to a report by New World Wealth.
- He was the best-performing wealth market globally in 2017 as its total wealth swelled from 6,584 billion dollars in 2016 to 8,230 billion dollars in 2017, registering a 25% growth.
- India ranks 62th in inclusive development index by World Economic Forum
Inclusive Development Index
- 103 countries
- 74 –developing countries
- India ranked 62th
- Three individual pillars — growth and development; inclusion; and inter-generational equity — has been divided into two parts. The first part covers 29 advanced economies and the second 74 emerging economies.
- Growth score (6 level)— receding, slowly receding, stable, slowly advancing and advancing.
- The top-five most inclusive emerging economies are Lithuania, Hungary, Azerbaijan, Latvia and Poland.
- India ranks 72nd for inclusion, 66th for growth and development and 44th for inter-generational equity.
- Three parameters -Standard of living- Environment stability – future generation indebtedness
- India is above only from South africa in BRICS countries.
· India becomes third largest producer of crude steel
- According to a recent report published by World Steel Association (WSA), India overtook the US to become the world’s third-largest steel producer in 2018.
- China has remained world leader by producing 831.7 MT in 2017, up 5.7% from 786.9 MT in the year-ago period.
- Japan is second largest global steel producer.
- The Global steel production had reached 1,691.2 MT in 2017, up by 5.3% compared to 2016 when output was 1,606.3 MT.
- It includes over 160 steel producers with 9 of the 10 largest steel companies, national and regional steel industry associations, and steel research institutes.
- It was founded in July 1967 and is headquartered in Brussels, Belgium.
- Stree Swabhiman Initiative launched for Women Health and Hygiene
- The Information Technology and Electronics Ministry of the country has announced to launch the new scheme initiative under Stree Swabhiman Drive.
- The new initiative has been introduced by the Ministry and CSC to ensure and maintain perfect health for Women and at the same time to maintain Health Hygiene.
- Prime Minister to launch Khelo India School Games in the Capital
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will launch the first Khelo India School Games at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi on January 31, 2018.
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establishing India as a great sporting nation.
- Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by a High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- The Khelo India School Games are being held from 31st January to 8th February, 2018 in New Delhi.
- It is being implemented in 150 Colleges and 20 Universities.
- Under-17 athletes have been invited to participate across 16 disciplines.
· India to witness super blue moon with lunar eclipse
- India would witness a ‘super blue blood‘ moon between 5:15 PM and 7:37 PM on as the Moon goes from east to west.
- Occurring for the first time since 1866, the second Full Moon of the month, often called a Blue Moon, would coincide with a lunar eclipse giving it a blood-red tint, with the Moon also being a supermoon.
· Indian Navy launches third Scorpene class submarine Karanj
- The Indian Navy launched ‘Karanj,’the third Scorpene class submarine.
- The submarine, constructed by shipbuilder Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL)in Mumbai.
- The first of the six Scorpene-class submarines, Kalvari, was commissioned into the Indian Navy by Prime Minister Narendra Modi last month.
- He had called its induction a big step in the country’s defense preparedness.
- On the occasion, Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had called submarine building a sophisticated and exacting craft, which only a handful of countries possess in their industrial capacity.
- The second one, INS Khandari, was launched on January 12 this year is currently undergoing sea trials.
- The Scorpene submarines are a primary modernization requirement of the Indian Navy, which is currently faced with an ageing submarine fleet, and that too when the Chinese navy has a growing presence in the Indian Ocean.
- The technology being used for construction of the Scorpene class submarines has ensured superior stealth features such as advanced acoustic silencing techniques, low radiated noise levels and hydrodynamically optimized shape. These stealth features give it an invulnerability, unmatched by most submarine.
· Environment Minister Harshvardhan Launches PetaFlop Super Computer
- Environment Minister Harshvardhan launched a 8 PetaFlop capacityhigh-performance computer system ‘Mihir’ in Noida.
- The system will be able to predict weather and climate accurately. This will be helpful in addressing the various issues of agriculture operations and fishing in the country.
- The system will help the department in predicting severe climate-related calamities and warnings for fishermen.
- With the launch of the system, India has joined the elite 30 member group of countries which have this advanced technology.
- MPPCS Mains 2022 Tests and Notes Program
- MPPCS Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- MPPCS Prelims and Mains 2022 Tests Series and Notes Program
- MPPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes