- Employment a major issue for 62% Madhya Pradesh voters: Survey
- Employment would be the biggest issue with the 5.14 crore voters in the Lok Sabha polls in Madhya Pradesh, a survey by the Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) has revealed. The survey shows that for 61.91% voters in MP, including rural areas, better employment opportunities matter more than issues related to agriculture, corruption or terrorism.
- Better employment avenues was the primary concern for 70% of MP’s urban population and 59% of rural voters.
- The second priority for 39.19% MP voters was remunerative prices for farm produce, while the third concern for 32.69% electors was better healthcare by way of more hospitals and primary health centres.
- In the rural areas, 56% voters wanted higher prices for farm produce while 40% spoke of the need for electricity for agricultural purposes, the survey showed.
- ADR was established in 1999 by a group of professors from the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Ahmedabad. It analyses the backgrounds of candidates contesting elections in order to help the electorate make an informed choice.
- Joint military exercise, Sary Arka Antiterror 2019, to be held in Uzbekistan
- The decision to hold Sary-Arka-Antiterror 2019, the first joint military exercise of Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)was announced at the during the 34th meeting of the RATS council held inTashkent, Uzbekistan. The exercise is to be held Sary Arka, Kazakhstan.
- The Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)is a permanent organ which serves to promote cooperation of member states against three evils of terrorism, separatism, and extremism
RATS was established in June 2004
- SCO is a permanent intergovernmental international organisation aimed at strengthening mutual trust and neighbourliness among the member states.
- SCO was created in 1996of which the China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, and Tajikistan were members.
- Microsoft Launched Project Sangam To Boost Indias Swachh Bharat Mission
- Microsoft announced that it has partnered with The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA)to promote its Project ‘Sangam’ which is developed to accelerate Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) in India.
- It is one of the world’s largest Cleanliness Programme.
- India, Sri Lanka joint exercise ‘Mitra Shakti-VI’ to commence from Mar 26
- Exercise ‘Mitra Shakti’ between India and Sri Lanka will be conducted from March 26 to April 8 for the year 2018-19, in Sri Lanka.
- It is conducted annually as part of military diplomacy and interaction between armies of two nations.
- Troops from 1st Battalion the Bihar Regiment of the Indian Army and Gemunu Watch Battalion of Sri Lankan Army would be jointly undertaking the exercise.
- The exercise will involve tactical level operations in an international counter-terrorism environment under United Nations mandate.
- World Down Syndrome Day observed on March 21
- Recognizing the need to support people suffering from Down Syndrome, the WHO (world Health Organization) on 20th December 2007, recognized March 21stas ‘World Down Syndrome Day’.
- Following the decision of WHO, the United NationsGeneral Assembly also designated the same date as “World Down Syndrome Day” on 19th December 2011.
- Since 2012“World Down Syndrome Day” has been observed annually on 21st March.
- World Down Syndrome Day 2019 theme is “Leave no one behind”.
- Down Syndrome is a genetic disorder causing a delayed physical and mental growth in individuals. Children or adults suffering from Down Syndrome have lower IQand learning ability along with characteristic facial features. A young adult with Down Syndrome has an average IQ of 50; equivalent to that of a normal 9 years old child.
- IND INDO CORPAT 2019 was inaugurated at Port Blair
- The 33rd edition ofIndia-Indonesia coordinated patrol (IND-INDO CORPAT) was inaugurated at Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Islands. The IND-INDO CORPAT 2019 is held from 19 Mar to 04Apr 2019.
- Navies of both countries have been carrying out coordinated patrolling twice a year since 2002 in an effort to keep the Indian Ocean region (IOR) safe and securefor commercial shipping and international trade. It also enhances mutual understanding and interoperability between the two navies.
- From the Indonesian Side Naval Ship, KRI Sultan Thaha Syaifuddin and Maritime Patrol Aircraft CN-235are taking part.Commodore Ashutosh Ridhorkar, Naval Component Commander, Andaman and Nicobar Command is leading the Indian side. During the exercise ships and aircraft from both the countries would undertake the patrolling on the respective sides of 236 nautical miles long International Maritime Boundary line.
- Lok Sabha passed the Indian Forest Amendment Bill, 2017
- The Lok Sabha passed theIndian Forest (Amendment) Bill, 2017. The bill replaces Indian Forest (Amendment) Ordinance, 2017 promulgated by President Ram Nath Kovind in November 2017 and amends Indian Forest Act, 1927.
- Though bamboo was taxonomically a grass, it was earlier defined as a tree under the Indian Forest Act, 1927and its felling and transit required permission. It was a major impediment for bamboo cultivation by farmers on non-forest land.
- Thebill omits bamboo grown in non-forest areas from the definition of trees. The omission thereby exempts it from requiring permits for felling or transportation of bamboo grown in non-forest areas. With this, bamboo grown in non-forest areas ceases to be a tree. It will encourage bamboo plantation by farmers, which will contribute to doubling farmers income by 2022.
- The Indian Forest Act, 1927consolidates laws relating to forests, the transit of forest-produce and duty to be levied on them. Under it, the definition of the tree includes palms, stumps, bamboos, brush-wood, and canes.